Whitewater Unites Lives (WUL)
Bassett House was built in 1857 for Thomas and Bessie Vilas Bassett. With their baby daughter Florence, the Bassetts came to Whitewater from New York state. Thomas owned and operated the Boot and Shoe Store which was located just west of the grist mill built on the creek in the 1830's. Mr. Bassett sold groceries, provisions and garden seeds in addition to boots and shoes.
The Federation of Women's Clubs has owned and cared for Bassett House for some 80 years now. The apartment upstairs is rented to provide full-time caretakers for the house. These caretakers do the usual maintenance chores as well as setting up for the various club meetings and events held throughout the year. Federation has successfully raised money through the years for necessary repairs and upkeep of Bassett House and the members cherish this beautiful old home and are most grateful to Florence Bassett for her gift.
Located at 708 W Main St, Whitewater, WI 53190
Call us at (262) 473-3312